Sunday, December 30, 2007

2007 - The Year in Review

2007 has been a great year, and I thought I'd post a quick entry prior to having the final score in the Redskins game.

For those of you who are really bored, here are my top 10 favorite memories of 2007 (in semi-chronological order, and in no way in order of importance).

1) New Year's at the Cabin. This has been a tradition that THC and I have enjoyed for the last 4 years, and every year the crowd grows bigger and bigger. In 2007, we rang in the New Year with the addition of a new baby and another one in the oven. The New Year also involved the first time I passed out drunk in baby jail. Here we are in 2008, with even more new faces... and even more food.

2) 2007 Legislative Session. Well, this isn't exactly particularly interesting to anyone other than me, but it's hands down the most rewarding and exciting part of my job. Also, it was the ONLY thing I was doing for the entire months of January through May. When I was in third grade, a career test told me that my ideal career was as a lobbyist. I had no idea what that meant, but I was pretty pissed that the test didn't forecast a career as a "teenage pop star." Fast forward 20 years, the damn test is right on. Apparently, I am an excellent ass-kisser, and I am very good at spending other people's money. I suppose my Dad could have told me this a long time ago.

3) Birth of Baby Vaughan. This was particularly awesome since it's my first really close friend to have a baby. There is an old wives' tale that if you eat Mexican food, it induces labor. We decided to test out this theory with a Chuy's chimichanga, and 12 hours later, Baby Vaughan entered the world. It was awesome. Less awesome was the story Sgt. BM told about the 3-lb. clump. I will not go into more details, but needless to say, that story stuck with me.

4) Engagement in Costa Rica! After over 5 years of dating, THC popped the question. The common sentiment among our friends and family was, "It's about damn time!" And of course, the engagement itself was particularly memorable. Words can't describe the horror of getting proposed to with a disgusting yellow gold, cubic zirconia Wal-Mart special. I cried tears of joy/relief when I was advised that the actual ring was back in the U.S.

5) 30th Surprise Birthday party. My terrific friends threw together an awesome surprise roast for me. I didn't realize that one could be roasted at age 30, but when you are me, and constantly make an ass of yourself, there is plenty of fodder.

6) Justin Timberlake Concert/Boston 3-Day/Tailgates. Good times with great friends. College was such a good time, why would we ever try to grow out of it??

7) Engagement Party in Charleston. As most everyone knows, I was freaking out about this big union between families. Or as I liked to call it, East meets South. However, the families got on just fine, and my Dad made lots of new Charleston friends... well, the ones who survived his three-hour lecture on the Chinese telecommuications market. I can't wait for the wedding itself... Charleston meets Korea meets Texas!

8) Weddings, engagements, babies, pregnancies.... congrats to Baby Hutch, Gonzo, Damien, Po Po and L, T.Fry and Joe, AKL's sister, Holoubeks, Botros's sister, Joe & Liz and anyone else I'm sure I'm forgetting.

9) The Redskins. The playoff picture is still TBD, but thanks for a great, exciting, and emotional season. R.I.P. #21, and Hail to the Redskins!

10) THC, Harley and Emma. All of the little things throughout the year. I could not begin to summarize all of the special moments, but needless to say most of them probably involved THC taking his shirt off, Harley killing small helpless animals, and Emma sleeping on my lap. I can't wait for 2008.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grant wasn't in the top 10 but I won't hold that against you and besides I am so excited to hear about your spring wedding and if anyone wears a perfect size 8 petite I think I can find one if you like seafoam green. Just sayin.

Amy said...

sniff sniff. '07 was good. '08 will be even better. I miss you. come home soon!

Bizarley said...

Grant was the first guy listed in item No. 8!! Grant, please move back to Houston soon!