This morning, as I was getting to work, I decided that my car needed to get to know the concrete pillar next to my parking spot. After a loud "BOOM", I realized that I had cut the corner too tight, and now the concrete pillar was wedged into the right side door. I did a 1 nano-second assessment of the situation, and decided that it was better to continue moving forward than back up. That, I would find out later, was not the correct call.I get out of my car to assess the damage and see that the entire passenger side of my car is dented in and scraped across 3 out of 4 panels. Sweet. Being that I had some very important online Christmas shopping transactions I needed to get done that morning, I decided to ignore the situation and head into the office.
As I was driving to meet MOH at lunch (a mere 90 minutes later), I remembered the events of the morning, and realized that EVERYONE driving next to me was staring at the ridiculous damage to the side of my car. And to make matters worse, I realized that as they were staring at the damage, they were looking at me in the drivers seat and thinking, "Oh, female asian driver..."
MOH and I have a friend who works in the car insurance business, and he always says, "Stereotypes exist for a reason." I wish I could say this is the first time I have hit a non-moving target, but it's not. When I was 16, I hit a major curb in my high school parking lot, nearly flipping my car over. When I was 17, I backed up into my mother's parked car in the driveway. When I was 19, I took out a beam in the garage of the Dryden House. When I was 20, I hit a parked car at the Galleria. And then, let's not forget the famous Petco incident (my attorney THC has advised me not to disclose further details, but let's say it may have involved an old man with an oxygen tank).
Ahh good times.
No comments:
Post a Comment