As I mentioned before, another big perk of being in Va. is that I have time to squeeze in a little exercise. My parents' neighborhood has a fully equipped rec. center, complete with daily exercise classes like pilates, yoga, zumba, and kickboxing. Score!
So, last week, I checked out the daily class schedule and decided to hit up the late morning pilates class. I've seen enough informercials to know that pilates will help get my core in tip top shape (that, or the Bender Ball, of course). Perfect.
I was halfway expecting to show up to a room full of stay-at-home mom types. You know, suburban MILFs. Instead, I show up to a room full of GIENLFs (Geriatrics I'd EXPRESSLY NOT Like to F). I mean, these people were OLD. Old like one of them needed help rolling out a yoga mat. Old like having to worry about their dentures popping out during the workout. Old like working out in "Easy Spirits". Old like having hair that was "done" in a salon 3 days ago and hasn't moved since. Old like... you get the idea.
Of course, since I was there, and since I didn't have anything better to do (ahhm... go home to watch my parents fawn over the baby for the 9th straight hour that day, no thanks), I decided to stick it out.
And truthfully I ended up having a good time. You know why? I am totally the best student in the class. Anyone who knows me knows that I am EXTREMELY competitive. So, yeah, if my plank is more perfect than Ruth's, then RUTH CAN SUCK IT! So what if Ruth is 78...
After my first class, I decide to check out the rest of the week's exercise schedule to hit up even more classes. Turns out, it's the same group of fogeys at all these things. So, now I have a new crew to hang with - Ruth, Selma, Joyce, Peggy, and on good days, even William.
And guess who is the star student in all of these classes? Yeah, we may be "burning" all of 20 calories per class, but I love it! When your workout goal is "don't die", I guess you can't expect it to be a real ass kicker.
More on my exciting life in suburbia soon... in the meantime, safe travels to everyone headed out to Europe this month. And a parting shot of GHC straight chillin'. Yeah, that is a pillow. Call CPS.
1 comment:
Ha! I am so glad you are enjoying your time. I had a similar experience in my own gym a few weeks ago when I decided to try out water aerobics. I brought down the average age by 30 years (I would call them old but some of them are friends with our inlaws)! The sad part was that many of them were in better shape than me. I have not been back since.
Post a Comment