Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Note About Dads

Happy first Father's Day to THC.  We miss you a lot.  Although it sucks that we can't spend it together, we'll be home in a few days.  And besides, he's got Harley and Emma to keep him company today.  (ohhhh, how I miss me some Harley....)  Maybe their Father's Day gift to THC can be not to kill any vermin today.

As for my own dad, I must say, I'm quite impressed with his eagerness to fill the role of Granddad.  He really is awesome.  The first to jump up and grab the baby when she's crying.  The one who does the most entertaining (apparently, GHC's favorite song is Kool and the Gang's "Celebration").  And the one who wants to talk about GHC incessantly when she is sleeping 20 feet away.

I never grew up with a grandfather, so I never really had any idea what it was like to grow up with someone who loves you so unconditionally and wants to spoil you so extensively.  It is definitely sad that we're leaving here soon and that he won't be able to see GHC every day.  Times like this make it hard to be all the way out in Texas...  [sigh]

Things GHC and I will miss when we go home:
1)  Waking up and handing the baby off to Granddad and then going back to sleep for 2 hours.
2)  Granddad's crazy antics trying to get GHC to laugh for me (which she has never done in my presence).  Picture lots of arm flailing, singing, dancing -- now imagine a 70-year old man doing this.
3)  Jacked up English phrases.  My favorite the other day:  "Heyyyy, Alligator.  I see you at later time."
4)  And most of all, the constant kisses, cuddles and hugs from two people who never get tired of them.

Things GHC and I won't miss when we go home:
1)  The stress of both grandparents' constant worry about our state of being.  Is GHC's skin too dry?  Is her poop consistency OK?  Will my second cup of coffee cause brain damage to GHC?
2)  Being stuffed fat all the time.  "YOU EAT THIS FOR BABY!"  Yeaaah.  This has been not so good for the baby weight loss program.

GHC and her granddad watching Game 7 of the NBA Finals right after her evening bath.  Unfortunately, she bears an uncanny resemblance to a certain communist leader north of the motherland in this photo.

No comments: