Monday, December 8, 2008

Brit Brit

There is no hiding it. I am a 31-year old grown woman and I totally heart Britney Spears. For her entire career, she has fascinated me.

I often reminisce about her pop princess prime -- aka, the height of my jealousy. Here was a girl who couldn't sing for shit, but could totally dance and be the center of attention. I could never understand why that couldn't be me. Of course, ending up at law school with a weekly karaoke tradition, I really got to explore and develop my inner "Korean Britney."

But then, she started to go O.O.C. (as the kids these days say). She started dating K-Fed and Then came her reversion into this backwards, over-dramatized Louisiana accent. I thought it was weird that she was so articulate as an 18-year old teen queen, but then she hit 21 and decided to start talking like a redneck trucker. She was just being herself, y'all!

I think I knew the end was coming when she had that disastrous interview with Matt Lauer. Do you remember the outfit??? The horrible wedge flip flops?! The fake eyelashes that were falling off?! And, of course, the god awful smacking of the chewing gum! Ohhh.... Brit.
As was to be expected, we all bore witness to her marriage to K-Fed fizzle out (ahh... a discussion of K-Fed would not be complete without a reference to Popozao). Then, we had the evil Sam Lufti "brainwashing" her, and then there were the ambulances to take her to the loony bin. Part of me felt guilty - like my eerie interest in her life was part of the problem. But I really couldn't tear myself away from any of it. It was truly watching a train wreck.

After a few months on the DL, it looks like our girl is finally on the road to recovery. And I am definitely right there to cheer her on. I have "Womanizer" on repeat, and, of course, I have tickets to see her big comeback concert in the spring. And, believe it or not, the old flame of jealousy is starting to come back. Come on, girl! You can do it!!!!

THC is rolling his eyes at this post. Actually I would like to bet $5 he stopped reading at the subject line.

1 comment:

mu-galto said...

I downloaded some new Brit last night and am listening right now. Gotta get ready for the big show in March!