I just wanted to post a few photos from our honeymoon in Portugal. About half our trip was spent in cities - Lisbon, Porto and Guimaraes, and the other half was spent exploring northern Portuguese wine country.

There was a lot of this. Followed by a lot of "Where the hell are we?"

Kim Jong Il, I mean, me, at the riverfront in Porto. At this point, I had only 2 glasses of port in me. Fast forward 2 hours, and it ain't pretty.

The view from our hotel room in Melgaco, heart of vinho verde (green wine) country. Also, for the record, Portuguese massages are a little different than back in the U.S. -- well, at least the Massage Envy kind. Let's just say there was no top cover sheet, and it was remarkably similar to a breast examination at the ob/gyn. When in Rome, I guess...

The valley between Portugal and Spain - aka Heaven.

Why the photo of the car, you ask?

Ohhh.... because I've been waiting for 30 minutes for the f-ing herd of cattle to cross the single-lane bridge to Spain, of course! That happens all the time on honeymoons, I hear.

More traffic. Should have taken the HOV lane.

The Portuguese -- what a charming, friendly, and polite population. Really, no sarcasm -- in every city/town/you-call-this-a-village? village we went to, they were nothing but gracious. This was taken by an old straga-nona lady who had never seen a digital camera before. Not bad for a first-timer. I guess she was sick of watching the two of us say, "OK, now you take a picture of me in front of this thing. OK, now I'll take a picture of you."

The ruins of a 12th century monastery in the middle of nowhere -- it took us nearly 3 hours to find this place, and it was completely deserted. As my dad would say, "Nice old thing to look at." I am leaning into the picture because there is a big nest of bees in one of the wall. Needless to say, we shouted "BEEES!!!" and ran around like idiots. And by we, I mean me.

Other plus for the Portuguese - they love their dogs! They are EVERYWHERE, especially running around the streets at all times. This little guy was taking a nap on a bridge - he could not be bothered to lift his head to look at me... so, naturally, I threw him like 10 human cookies, which worked.

Having dinner at a Fado club. It sounds touristy, but if you find the right place, Fado is absolutely amazing. It's like going to a blues club in New Orleans, but really so much more moving, and you don't even have to understand the words. If you will note, my plate is completely clean, while THC is still working on his. Diet is officially OVER (not that I was any good at it)!
No comments:
Post a Comment