Friday, June 20, 2008

5 Lessons from Marriage

This is just a random fun shot of 2 of my favorite people. But I just wanted to pass along a few new things I have learned in our short time being married so far.

1) Fessing up to your spouse after getting a speeding ticket is the right thing to do. I tried my best to get out of this one, but the cop just wasn't having any of it. After telling him what THC did for a living and that I was going to be in deep trouble, the cop felt bad and kindly reminded me that I had a good driving record and was eligibile for defensive driving. Meaning: off my record and nobody would need to know. Tempting. Unmarried NK would have totally swept it under the rug. After turning to my mother for advice, she told me I HAD to come clean. I was too afraid to tell THC the news face to face, so I called him and told him over the phone while sitting in the car in the driveway. Much to my surprise, he didn't care at all! I felt so rotten for even contemplating not telling him, but the lesson was learned -- confession was definitely the right thing to do. Now whether or not I do this upon impulse purchase of Gucci handbag remains yet to be seen.

2) Being married doesn't make you stop being jealous of cute girls that your husband works with. On the flip side, being married doesn't make Rice Baseball players any less cute, so I guess we are even.

3) There is no such thing as too much queso and adding a touch of milk to queso is the most amazing thing ever. Thanks, JCK II.

4) New fancy sheets are not always as comfy as old, holey, ripped up sheets from T.J. Maxx. And THC's finger is just as efficient at scraping sauce as a Williams-Sonoma silicone spoonula.

5) What "Athlete's Foot" is -- I guess when we were dating, either THC never had athlete's foot, or else he hid the condition very well. Now that we're married, the evening application of Tough-Actin Tinactin has become routine.. As THC likes to say, "you can't call yourself a self-respecting dude unless you've had athlete's foot." I'm not sure why contracting athlete's foot makes you manly, but according to the husband, it does. Who am I to disagree?

No comments: