Friday, June 13, 2008

Identity Crisis

I think having jitters about marriage is common. For me, getting married was a no-brainer. I have been 100% sure about getting married to THC every minute of the way. Even standing in front of the chapel with my dad waiting to go in, I had zero apprehension about entering into marriage.

The name change. Now that's a different story. It's been almost three weeks, and I have yet to verbally identify myself as NKC. I'm totally happy to identify myself as THC's wife or to say THC is my husband. But the name change... why is that so hard?

For as long as I've been alive, people have refused to call me N. High school, college, law school, work. Everyone has always called me K. So, to lose the K - it feels strangely like losing a little bit of my identity.

In an effort to make the name change feel more real, I have already done the hard stuff - updated my driver's license, updated social security card, changed all of my email addresses and signatures, ordered new business cards. Now it's just a matter of actually saying the words out loud... should I set a deadline for myself when NK needs to be officially dead and I can no longer identify myself as NK?

This ain't your average southern belle! I hope NKC can throw down on the dance floor as well as NK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No average 'suthen' bell, indeed. It will be a long time before I forget you booty dancing in your hanbok. CT