Monday, January 21, 2013

The Greatest Holiday

Quick- what is the Greatest of All Holidays?

Halloween?  Fourth of July? Thanksgiving?   Wrong, wrong and wrong.
Easter, Valentines Day?   Nope.
Well then, of course it's Christmas.   Not even close.   Do you even read this blog?

If you didn't immediately and without hesitation say "Martin Luther King Day," then you are not a public servant with a child whose day care is open when the government is not.    Or you're a racist.

Either way, MLK Day is the best.    Most people who have real jobs have to go to work which means the day cares are usually open.   Which means us gubment employees can take our kids in, drop them off, get home, and be asleep in an empty house before 10am, which is what I did yesterday.   It was glorious.  

And I would have been back in bed quicker if G and I hadn't gotten caught up in the MLK Day parade, which is apparently a thing here in Houston.    As the gathering crowds eyed my slicktop Crown Vic suspiciously, I tried to explain to G why Martin Luther King was awesome enough for a parade.    I distilled it down to "He tried to help people get along and make people free."

She thought for a long time about this and we rode in silence for a couple of blocks.   Then she said "When two polar bears and one spider would put me in a cage, then Daddy and Martian Lufer the King would get me out."     "Yes, sweetie," I said.   "That's exactly right."    She's very smart.   Clearly the polar bears are an analogy for the Cold War and the spider most likely symbolizes J. Edgar Hoover.

Fortunately, the folks at her school gave explaining MLK another stab.   But it didn't go much better.   Below is her response to the question "What Do You Dream About?"


I think she took it a little literally.   Her answer was "stars and bats."   Which raises a whole host of other questions.


No comments: