Thursday, December 10, 2009

Here we go...

So the grandparents-to-be are already getting restless - they are eager to purchase items for Goo-etta this Christmas. So, of course, when they ask me what I need, I just stare back blankly like, "I dunno. A collar and a leash?" And what the hell - how about a present for me instead??? Helloooooo, I still like stuff!

Anneee-way...Mama V was kind enough to assist me last weekend in my first outing to look at baby gear. The time had come. And despite having to breathe in a paper sack for an hour before hand, it was not too bad. I have come up with several conclusions:

1) I seriously need to start working out. Like REALLY REALLY need to focus on this. I struggled to lift most infant car seats -- and keep in mind, there was not even a freaking baby in the seat at the time!

2) Next to wedding supplies, baby items are a total racket. They take advantage of all of your fears to convince you that you need the highest end product available. Like your baby will spontaneously combust if you do not have a proper visor on the stroller or she will develop leprosy if you allow her to sleep on walmart sheets.

3) Grandparents in baby stores are a salesperson's dream come true. I overheard a grandmother on her cell phone with her daughter saying "Well, I just figured I should go ahead and buy some furniture for our house, too, and the entire set is on sale for only $2500." Umm, what?? I don't think THC's car cost $2500.

So, here we go... let the purchasing frenzy begin. I am seriously soliciting any and all advice on gear/furniture, so if you have any tips, please email me or leave a comment.

Note: I will say officially that AKL is the first person to purchase a gift for little Goo-etta. She brought it to my office this morning. It is very cute (thank you very much, AKL). But at the same time, I got so freaked out, I had to hide it under my desk all afternoon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh the baby items that we bring to the cabin might make you lightheaded, but I can help if you have any questions. I am a crazy mom with safety reports, but married to a cheap man. The end results have been fine. And have you thought about a pump?! That will REALLY freak everyone out.

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing by taking another Mom with you (I assume Mama V is a Mom). Definitely do not go without someone who has been through this recently, because you will talk yourself into all sorts of unnecessary crap. As far as grandparents, remind them that children born in 2010 are expected to pay $200,000 over four years for college - that's a public college. Money is always a good gift.....JJB