Wednesday, September 9, 2009

3rd Grade Bliss

THC, being the uber private school snob that he is, always berates me for having gone to public school. Like the other day, I saw a really light colored gray pigeon and stated "that pigeon must be really old." At which point his ears started to bleed that I honestly believed that pigeons turn grey when they age. [was I that wrong?]

But HEY, I'm proud of my public school education. It was free, and last I checked, we ended up at the same law school.

Yes, there are holes in my education. I do not know the years - or even approximate years of WWI and WWII. I could not possibly name any of the first 10 U.S. Presidents (except George Washington and John Adams). I have not read Moby Dick (and I don't intend to).

BUT, on the contrary, I can name all 20 amino acids, tell you the quadratic formula by heart, and I can out-spell THC any day of the week. Remember the whole "correspondant" disaster?

I digress....

The other awesome thing about public school was - believe it or not - the cafeteria. I freaking LOVED public school food. We used to have "Double Burrito Day" on Wednesdays in high school, and my old friend Anne and I used to tackle everyone in the hallways to run to lunch on this day. They served these massive deep fried burritos, of course, with processed nacho cheese out of a pump (the beginnings of a long relationship with queso started here), and it was the closest thing to heaven I have ever known.

The next best public school food were these awesome cookies they sold in elementary school - called Butter Crunch. I had totally forgotten about them until the other day when I was eating a Treebeard's butter bar, and thought to myself, wow, this flavor reminds me of being in third grade and standing in line with a quarter to buy Butter Crunch cookies....

... and so the googling began. Turns out this company still sells Butter Crunch cookies, and they still sell them to elementary schools across the country. And, thanks to the internet, they also sell them to greedy, memory-laners like me. Of course, me being all about moderation - I ordered a case.

And that case arrived today... heaven!!!!

Note: these cookies are a unique exception to my general aversion to baked goods. For the record, I did not even eat my own wedding cake. I have no idea whether it was good or bad. I would have preferred the all-classy queso fountain, but you-know-who put the kaibosh on that.

Note 2: Did you see how carefully I redacted the photos to not give away my identity or my company identity? Such attention to detail - what a marvelous lawyer she must be!

Note 3: Happy birthday Vid & Tripp!

4 comments:

Amy said...

will you save one for me, asseblief?

Anonymous said...

Yum,double burrito day. You failed to mention Mary's delivery of queso and chili. WSHS rules!

aposeym said...

i'm guessing all of FCPS had the same food because i remember both the cookies and the burritos fondly...the burritos more so than the cookies!

LL's Mom said...

OK, so, I'm going to try on the Me-Monster hat that you so graciously designed and say you probably shouldn't chastise someone about spelling and then misspell something in the same post! See http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kibosh. Private schools rule! :)