A few months ago, Mr. Jimmy had the bright idea of getting
all of his high-school friend together and going to Daddy-Daughter camp at the
YMCA Camp Greenville. That would be
me and you, Jimmy and his overnamed son John Swinton, Joe Pearson and Evelyn
(aka Evie), and Cooper and your old buddy Lillie. And when he suggested it, it seemed like a
great idea. It think it seemed more
appealing because your brother had gotten real cute and I noticed that I’ve
been spending more time with him and feeling like we weren’t as close as we
used to be. As an older child, I’m
particularly sensitive to that kind of thing.
So we signed up and I forgot about it until it was time to go.
We left T4 and Mommy in Houston, flew to the cabin and hung
out there a few days, as I began to realize I was going to have hang out with other
people’s kids, in an unair-conditioned cabin, with at least three massive men
who snore, in the middle of the summer, where booze is frowned upon. Shit.
But you are so unrelentingly happy and cheerful, it didn’t seem so bad
as we drove up away from Nana’s house.
And it wasn’t. We
had a great time. You had the built in advantage of having two
girls you already knew, and I had the built in advantage of having three
like-minded boozehounds with travelling bars that we rolled out every
night.
Once I got over the un-relenting murderous good cheer of YMCA “camp people” as Jimmy called them, I had every bit as much fun as you did. A lot of it was little things- your fascination with black berries that grew along the side of the road to Pretty Place. You'd wade through yards of briars to get them, collect them, pass them out to friends, and occasionally eat on for "energies."
Some of the other high-lights included our canoeing session that degenerated into parents (OK-me) flinging life jacketed children 20 feet into the lake, and watching you take a dip in the redneck side of your genepool.
![]() |
| Gangster style |
For some reason, you fixated on making a tie-dye shit, and
whenever I asked you want you wanted to do when we got to camp, you’d scream- “Crafts!!!” So we
made some damn crafts- tie-dye shirts, necklaces, wood name tags, leave
pressings, and I’m still working on a lanyard.
But you branched out too, starting with an activity called Rock
Throwing,” which is kids collecting rocks, throwing them at a bunch of pans,
then collecting them again. Brilliant
work by the counselors.
![]() |
| Note the shirt |
But I think the thing I think will stick with me was, during the
closing campfire, during which various groups of older kids got up and sang
god-awful koombayah songs and you were totally into, a Wrath of God type
thunder storm broke out. I scooped you
up, put you on my shoulders and started running through the woods as fast as I
can run at 41 years old. We were mowing
down campers right and left, whipping through trees, as the storm got so close
we could taste the lightning before it hit.
You were 50/50 delirious with
joy and terror. When we got to a shelter, I wrapped you up in
my shirt and we just laughed at the rain and the wind trying to scoop us up off
the mountain and the wonderful of being alive. I think I’ll sign us up again.





No comments:
Post a Comment