Thursday, August 1, 2013

Not-So-Deep Thoughts

I'm somewhat of an online voyeur... well, the rated-PG kind.  I am always checking Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and blogs.  Admittedly, I rarely leave any evidence of my stalking (i.e. by commenting, liking, or re-sharing).  I just like to silently peek (some people call this "stalking") at other people's lives.  And, naturally, I end up comparing my own life circumstances to my online "friends."

I wouldn't call myself an insecure person, but online stalking brings out some of the worst feelings of jealousy and inadequacy.  It's hard not to see and read people's photos and stories of amazing vacations, fun nights out on the town, perfect children, etc. and not feel like your own life is rather lame.  Or in my case, REALLY lame.

But every once in a blue moon, you get a reminder that behind closed doors (or, in this case, offline), most of us don't actually lead the lives that our Facebook profiles would lead you to believe.

Example -- I am Facebook friends with someone from high school - we'll call her "Liz."  I wouldn't say we were ever real life friends though.  Back then, we had overlapping social circles and ended up at the same high school parties.  But at my core, I was a nerd, and Liz was cool, so we were never bound to be really good friends.  In fact, really, Liz was more a frenemy than a friend - I was just always a little jealous that she was cooler than me.  And let's face it, even as adults, we never quite out-grow some of our petty high school insecurities.

Turns out, Liz had a baby about a week after I had T4.  And all of the photos and status updates would lead anyone to believe that Liz's baby (in addition to her other 2 kids) were nothing short of perfection.   Sample updates:

"Kids are napping, and mama can finally get down to her Insanity workout!"
"God bless husbands like Ryan!  He is super dad!"
"This little guy is soooo worth getting up in the middle of the night!"
"Headed to the beach for the weekend!  Can't wait for some fun in the sun!"

Reading stuff like this just made me feel awful about myself.  How the F did you get 3 kids to nap at the same time?  And you're using this time to exercise?  Yeah, super dad over here in Houston is rocking himself in a dark corner with a 6-pack of beer.  Headed to the beach??  With 3 kids??  I can't even get to Target for 30 minutes with 1 kid without losing my mind.

And then came this post:

"I want to crawl in a hole and cry.  Thought we could make it through another baby without reflux, but apparently not.  :("

I was floored.  Not so much that she had a baby with reflux, but that she had opened the door to reveal that maybe her life wasn't as perfect as one would assume.

And, with that, I sent her a private message to offer encouragement and a sympathy.  She immediately replied.  It was bad - really bad.  And she was living in isolation, away from family and friends (her husband's job had relocated their family), AND starting to feel her own post-partum depression sink in.  Before I knew it, over Facebook messages, we were furiously confessing and commiserating about our own sad circumstances.

After our email exchange, I took a look at my own online profile.  And wouldn't you know it -- nary a single status update or photo about suffering from post-partum depression, infertility, inadequacy as a parent, etc.  Just the typical cutesy stuff that tells everyone (especially my old high school peers), "Hey, you, my life is awesome, so you can all suck it."

I realize nothing I'm saying here is ground-breaking.  We all know that the way people present themselves online is just a facade.  But for me, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but getting some real-life proof of this has been sort of reassuring.  Hey, we all eat sh*t sandwiches sometimes.  If the popular girl from high school is also eating one, maybe yours doesn't taste so bad after all.

No comments: