In one of my newly-ordered parenting books, the author said that toddlers fall into one of three general personality types. He suggested an experiment to test your toddler's personality - find a crowded public place, and as you stand there with your toddler, let go of her hand.
Type 1 (most common): The Happy/Content Child - will stand there next to you.
Type 2: The Shy Child - will try to grasp your hand or leg or beg to be held.
Type 3: The "Spirited" Child - will bolt and not look back.
I have a Type 3. Oh boy, do I ever have a Type 3. And "spirited" is not the word I would use to describe GHC. Here are some alternative suggestions: "effing insane", "like a wild warthog", "seemingly jacked-up on Mountain Dew", "in need of a tranquilizer dart", or "has a mommy rocking herself in a corner".
I also used to judge parents who kept their kids on leashes. But now I get it. At some point in my pregnancy, AA got me a kid leash. And the other day, I busted it out to see whether GHC would freak out. Turns out, she loves wearing it. It did not hurt that I told her she looks like Dora the Explorer. So, guess who will be taking her backpack'ed kid out to the mall this weekend?? Don't judge. And ignore the fact that she has no pants on. Pants schmants.
2 comments:
At Tripp's school, they call category #3s "runners"...and they are the most feared children when it comes to car pool time. :)
Gracie rocks the leash with style!
Thanks for the shout out.....She looks awesome!
Post a Comment