Thursday, May 20, 2010

Family

I would have never said I was much of a "family person."  Don't get me wrong, I have always liked both my family and THC's family.  We all get along, and we all stay in reasonably decent contact with each other.  But seeing as how we're all the way out in Texas and they're spread out all over the east coast, it hasn't ever really been possible for us to have our families be the epicenter of our daily life.

To my surprise, once GHC arrived, both of our families made a big push to get back together.  This is the first grandchild and niece for all of our parents and siblings, and everyone has been overwhelmingly loving and affectionate toward the newest addition.  

The entirety of THC's family was here this past weekend.  (Note: they did not all step off the plane wearing seersucker and straw hats.  But, they WERE wearing Croakies and boat shoes)  At the end of the weekend, it was sad to think that none of them would get to see GHC until August.  She's already changed so much in the last 2 weeks, and by the time August rolls around, they will have missed many more changes.

Obviously, I know we aren't the only ones who have dealt with having far flung family members.  It's just that it never bothered me much before.  I mean, me and THC's life has been REMARKABLY steady over the last 5-6 years.  We live in the same house.  We have worked at our same jobs.  We have the same retarded dogs.  We eat at Mission Burrito and Berryhill every week.   (Dang, writing it down makes it sound depressingly boring!)   So, I guess when our families have been asking us "What's new?" , our answer has always been "Not much!"  Well, all that's changed now!

Some photos of GHC with her C-side family.

Can you believe this little lump of half-Korean baby is going to be a southern debutante one day?
GHC wondering whether Papa has started investing in her future wardrobe fund.
GHC showing her aunt how she contributes to Houston's air quality problem.

3 comments:

KK said...

You are going to look so cute in your seersucker, G!

Unknown said...

Hey NKC-she is beautiful. Sorry I haven't gotten to see her yet. Remember those days fondly. MWG-Boss

aposeym said...

I love how in the first picture THC's parents can't take their eyes off GHC! So cute.