Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Memories

For the last 15 years, I have looked forward to Halloween as a big party night. A night of heavy drinking, inappropriate costumes, and judging girls who use it as an excuse to dress like sluts. (ahem, I acknowledge that I probably fell victim to this on more than one occasion, or as recently as last year)

This year - alcohol has been removed from the equation, and all of a sudden, Halloween has a new meaning. Like now, I'm feeling a little sad that I don't have a little one to dress up in a totally ridiculous costume. You know where this is going...But really - being "in the family way" has already changed my perspective on things -- I've been thinking about what my childhood Halloween was like... and maybe slightly horrified! Let's take costumes for example - do y'all remember those cheapie plastic suits and plastic masks that they used to sell? My lord - how did children not suffocate in those things?? I have distinct memories of peeling off a Wonder Woman version of one of those death traps, being completely covered in sweat and my own spit from constantly sticking my tongue out of the half-inch thick slit for a mouth hole. I mean, they put warnings on plastic baggies now, how the hell did they encourage hoards of children to put these things on as costumes??

I also remember the late evening loot exchange... and the universally hated candies that everyone tried to pawn off. Mary Janes, Good & Plenty, raisins, Charleston Chews???... PEOPLE, we want the good stuff! It's universal - bring on the Kit Kat, Twix, Reese's Pieces, Sugar Daddies! Why on earth would you think any 5-year old kid would enjoy a freaking Bit O' Honey??

Another fond memory was reaching the age when my parents stopped caring what I decided to be for Halloween, and let me decide for myself. This usually led to some totally inappropriate, politically incorrect costume with my 2 childhood best friends. I think my favorite was being dressed up as homeless people, complete with stolen shopping cart and empty beer cans and alcohol bottles. We were in 4th grade people - who let us do this???

Ahhhh such great memories!! I hope everyone has a great Halloweeen... I am looking forward to updating this blog next year. Can you imagine what costume THC and I will come up with for Baby Goo???

2 comments:

mu-galto said...

Dude, you bought a child's pink power ranger costume when we were second years in law school. You don't have to think back that far to the days of kids' costumes....

Unknown said...

I cannot wait until next year! And you can still drink...we just take the cooler in the trick and treat wagon!