Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fight Club

Life is kind of crazy right now - I feel like I've been living out of a suitcase since Paris. In the last 2 months, THC and I have been on 8 different plane trips, and now I'm traveling out of town for work every week. Blergh. I miss my dogs.

Since Beth has already posted so many ridiculous photos of us at the cabin for New Year's, I'll spare my 2 readers a repeat.

Anyway, as both of you know, I recently traveled to THC's hometown for what was essentially my southern debut -- there are so many things wrong/ridiculous about that last statement, but you all knew that already. Since THC's rigid Fight Club rules apply, I can't go into much detail. The following photos are from a pre-party (as photos during Fight Club are expressly verboten).

(Um, yes, that's me wearing elbow length gloves)

For a myriad of reasons, I was pretty freaked out about this event (part of that may have been attributable to the borderline anorexia I endured for 2 weeks to fit into my dress). But in the end, it was actually really interesting and enjoyable. Hey, let's face it, being the center of attention is not exactly laborious for me. I mean, people lining up to tell you how fabulous you look is good for the ego!

Anyway, I had just finished telling THC how sorry I was for underestimating the good people of his hometown. Everyone at Fight Club was so pleasant, polite and gracious.

Then, the very next night out at a casual dinner with some of THC's family friends, I was introduced to some random older lady. When I introduced myself, the lady jumped back, and marveled, "My goodness! Your English is just wonderful!" Awesome. The poor family friends were soooo mortified, I kind of felt bad for them... but the high-larious factor was just too high, I just laughed, and said, "Why, yes, it is, isn't it?" Ohhhhh the South....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg, that last part is sooo hilarious. -moh

KK said...

oh. my. I had to giggle.

Anonymous said...

Funny, go an hour south of WSHS and people give you the 'you speak good English' look at the gas station when all 6 of us pile out of a 10 year old accord