Friday, October 3, 2008

Bring Back Dan Quayle!

Wow - did everyone watch the debates last night?! Yeah, Sarah Palin exceeded people's expectations, but let's face it - the bar was pretty low.

My favorite Palin-isms from last night:

1) Her repeated references to"Sen. Obiden." Maybe he is the political love child of Barack Obama and Joe Biden. In which case, we could call the republican love child "McAlin." Not to be confused with the McRib, which is delicious.

2) "Ahmadinejad." When faced with a tough questions regarding the middle east, she just likes to insert his name over and over. Remember that 2000 SNL skit where Bush just starts listing names of foreign leaders to prove he can pronounce them... that is a little bit like what she does with "Ahmadinejad" to prove she knows something about foreign policy.

3) "Nuk-u-lear." I love the addition of the extra syllable to make it sound more complex.

4) "Hockey Mom and Joe Six Pack." WTF? I'm no feminist, but come on. It probably would have been just as effective to say "Whitey McWhitey and Honky McRedneck" (not to be confused with Judgy McJudgerton). You appeal to the same audience.

5) "I'm going to ignore the question at hand, because I don't know the answer and I'm about to start the deer-in-headlights look, so let's talk about energy again." OK, so she didn't say this exactly word for word, but close enough.

6) "You betcha", "Gee", "Ya'know", "Gosh darned", and wanting to "straight-talk with the American people" [insert Fargo accent]. Does anyone remember Ray Zalinsky from Tommy Boy? "The name's Zalinsky. I make car parts for the American working man, because that's who I am. And that's who I care about." See any parallels?

7) "Drill baby, drill." Every time you chant this, a puppy dies. Please stop the madness.

OK - I realize this is a one-sided slam on Palin, but consider that this is coming from a republican who likes John McCain. I may not agree with everything the republicans and McCain support, but this is just outrageous. We already screwed the pooch by electing one idiot (out of disclosure, I DID vote for him - but you left me no choice by offering Gore and Kerry). How can we offer more of the same and make promises of change??

And besides that, how about when Joe Biden got choked up and teary talking about his daughter and wife. Oh my! You had me at hello!

Getting off my soapbox and back to work....

No comments: