Saturday, May 14, 2011

Wasn't There Like a Dog or Something in this Family?

Groan....  poor Harley.  Poor, poor neglected Harley.  [you can only imagine how bad things must be for old Emma, and even worse, for THC]

It's been a loooonnng time since I've posted anything about Harley.  There's a reason for that, I just haven't seen the poor fella very much the last 6 months.  Work has got me completely tied up, so I've pretty much devoted 100% of my free time to GHC.  Which is not a justification of ignoring the dog(s).  It's just the way it had to be for a while.

But I'm starting to feel really racked with guilt about my sweet little baby boy.  As an example, a few weeks ago we were all leaving to have dinner at P&L's house.  We opened the garage door, and both dogs went out with us.  This is not uncommon - we always round them back up to go inside when we get in the car.  But in the usual clusterf*ck that is us loading up a baby & related gear into the car, we totally forgot to send both dogs back inside.  When we returned home several hours later, there was poor little H-man sitting in front of our house with a big look of "WTF, dudes?!"  How long was he sitting in our courtyard thinking, "Hello???  Is anyone there?"  [THC tells me that I give him too much credit, and then proceeds to compare his brain size to that of a walnut]

And then there was the most recent example from last week.  I had called my mom, who is in town to help with GHC, to let her know I was on my way home.  Here's how the conversation went:

NKC:  Hey, Mom.  I'm just leaving downtown, so I should be home around 10pm.  How's everything going?
Mama K:  Everything going goooood.  GHC eating goooood.  GHC sleeping gooooood.  You want to talk to GHC?  [at which point she hands the phone to the child, who, of course, is sitting there staring at the phone while Grandma encourages (i.e. shrieking when you are Korean) at her to "say something!"]
NKC:  ahh, Mom?  Mom?  MOMMMM!
Mama K:  GHC, do you love Elllllmo???  Wha?  Huh?  Nancy, you want to talk to me?
NKC:  No, just wanted to tell you I'll be home later.  I'll see you soon.
Mama K:  Oh, one more thing, did you talk to THC?
NKC:  [suspiciously] Uhh... yeah, sometime yesterday.
Mama K:  Oh, what did you talk about?
NKC:  [even more suspiciously]  Just normal stuff.  WHY??
Mama K:  Oh, nothing.  OK, you hang up and drive carefully.  Bye-bye!
NKC:  Wait!!  [CLICK]
[SPEED DIAL THC]
THC:  [answering his phone like some Law & Order cop by only saying his last name] C
NKC:  Hey.
THC:  Oh, hey.  What's up?  You headed home?
NKC:  Yeah.  Is everything OK?
THC:  Oh yeah, yeah.  Everything's all good.
NKC:  Well, my mom was acting all weird on the phone and wanted to know if I had talked to you.
THC:  Oh, really?  That's weird.
NKC:  OK, well, I'll be home in a few hours.
THC:  Oh, one more thing...  about the dog....
NKC:  [heart racing]
THC:  Yeah, he had a little accident.  I mean, nothing 12 stitches couldn't fix.  But he's cool now.  I mean, a little f*cked up... but he's ok.  It actually happened like 3 days ago, but we didn't want to tell you because we knew you'd freak out.
NKC:  [insert apopletic rage]

I'll save you the rest of the details, but it is safe to assume that I did, in fact, freak out, and Harley has, in fact, turned out to be OK.  But my poor little baby!!!  He is going to need doggie counseling to recover from all this neglect.

No comments: